12 August 2009

Working out

When I said yesteray, I planned on posting more, I didn't really mean I'd do it daily, but I wanted to get this written down.  I mentioned a couple of months ago, I've lost a fair amount of weight in the last year.  I've sort of stagnated here the last 3+ months.  First of all, we got a new scale because Sherry said she thought the old one was reading too light.  She weighed herself here and then at the Dr's office and the difference was more than could be accounted for by additional clothing.  So, I bought a new one and sure enough the old one was reading about 3-4 lbs lighter than the new one.  So, when I hit that 195, it was probably actually a 198 (I've actually hit 196.8 on the new scale, so I've been even lower than what the old reading of 195 would have meant) and the 232 when I started (this time) was likely more like 235.  Anyway, since early May I've been sitting at 200±2 lbs.  There isn't really a problem with that, I actually am feeling pretty good at this weight, I'm wearing jeans that are 4" smaller in the waist than I was a year ago (and I'm noticing that they are actually a little on the loose side).  Also, hopefully tomorrow the jeweler will call and I'll get my wedding ring back (it is being resized smaller).  Several times this summer, I've nearly lost it in the pool and when I nearly lost it in the shower last week, that was the final straw, I took it to the jeweler 5 days ago.  Now, I lost the first 15-20 lbs strictly by watching what I ate, cutting the caloric intake to 1500-1800 calories a day, but then I plateaued for a while.  In Jan-Feb, I started adding in some resistance/weight training (starting with the resistance bands 3 times per week and later switching to the actual free weights occasionally for some variation) and more weight came off, another 15-20 bringing me to a total of about 35 where I am now.  For the last two months, however, I've gotten out of the workout habit.  It started around the time of SANSFIRE (maybe just before) and with all of my travels in July, it kept on.  I worked out once while I was at my parent's place and was very, very sore the day I had lunch with the college friend (I hope she didn't notice I was moving like an 80-year-old).  Then not again until Monday.  I finally put the old DVD in and went at it.  Obviously, I had to lighten the weight (or reduce reps) from where I was when I was doing it regularly and I was a little sore yesterday and this morning, but I hit it again today and I expect I'll feel better tomorrow.  Perhaps a little more will come off if I get back in the routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment