05 September 2009

A little bit of respect

I've been more than a little dismayed at the venom directed at President Obama over his planned address to school children on Tuesday.  Whether you agree with everything he stands for or not, it seems pretty strange to me that there is so much objection to the President of the United States telling kids to work hard and stay in school.  I mean from everything I've seen, it looks like the script could have just as easily been written by Laura Bush (and I doubt if anyone at Fox News would have been upset with her telling kids to stay in school).  Anyway, as I was preparing to write this, I read Bob Cornwall's post that says much of what I wanted to say and says it better, so go read it there, especially this sentence, "Even if we don't like the holder of the office, we need to respect the office or we will find ourselves in deep trouble."  Oh, and here's another one that makes the point pretty well.  I think that is one of the things that has been bothering me the most.  Disagree on policy, okay, but even when I haven't particularly cared for the person, I've tried to respect the office.  These nutjobs praying for the death of the President of the United States have gotten way out of line and I'm dismayed that more conservatives have allowed that to go unchallenged.  Okay, end of political rant for the day.  I hope anyone out there reading this is having a great Labor Day weekend.

Shalom,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment