04 July 2008

Odd perspectives based on experience

I've long been fascinated by weather.  While I've never purchased a home weather station, I've often thought about it and I'm a Weather Channel junkie.  Weather became even more important to me when I learned how to fly.  Pilots (literally can) live or die by the weather.  If you read my earlier entry this evening, you'll note that it was raining and overcast nearly all day today.  The reason for the title of this post though, is that I realized as I was driving to Cincinnati and back (and to some extent during the game) that I was trying to estimate the ceilings (I estimate that they ranged from about 200' to maybe, briefly 1200 or 1500') and visibility (actually pretty good most of the time) and determine in my head whether the weather was MVFR or IFR (it was IFR pretty much until I got home).  Normal people don't worry about that, but this flying thing has (somewhat) changed my perspective on weather.  It isn't good or bad, just different and it struck me today, so I decided to write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment