13 July 2008

TdF

I probably first heard about the Tour de France when I was a kid, but I didn't really pay much attention to it until Greg Lemond won it in the early 80s.  I sort of followed it during the Lemond/Hinault/Indurain years, but it didn't get a whole lot of coverage here in the US.  In 1996, one of my co-workers at the time was into it and it was much easier to follow then after the arrival of the internet.  Of course, there has been a lot more coverage of the race in the last decade with Lance's arrival on the scene.  I must admit I haven't been following it as closely this year as I'd like to.  I haven't watched every stage on Versus like in past years, though I still check the results everyday.  I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that Contador and Leipheimer won't get a chance to defend their podium positions.  Especially since about half the Astana team are ex-Discovery.  I am, however, enjoying the fact that both American teams, Columbia and Garmin-Chipotle are doing very well (Kirchen rides for Columbia, and Vandevelde rides for Garmin-Chipotle).  I hope they keep it up, but things should really get interesting starting tomorrow (the first mountain stage) with  its finish at Hautacam.  That one, I will watch live.

No comments:

Post a Comment